Chocolatito said: “I will move forward and Martinez will move forward”
Some battles don’t need trash talk or wild behavior to sell a fight and Roman Gonzalez versus Julio Cesar Martinez is one of them.
The final press conference of the game took place yesterday ahead of their eagerly anticipated confrontation on Saturday night at Penchanga Arena in San Diego.
It inculcates experience against youth and a living legend against a young man trying to be one.
“We have a great opponent in Martinez,” said Gonzalez.
The Nicaraguan mixed-weight world champion faced Juan Francisco Estrada for the third time, but the Mexican had to withdraw because of Covid-19 symptoms. His countryman jumped at the chance and will face one of the sport’s all-time greats without having to defend his WBC flyweight title.
Gonzalez, 34, said he was also delighted to welcome the 27-year-old.
“When they offered me that fight, I happily accepted it. I have an opponent that can come forward but I’m going to go, it’s going to be a huge fight and I think the fans will be really pleased with this fight.
“I love all Mexicans; I had the opportunity to fight against many Mexicans. I know Nicaraguans will come here and support, but the most important thing is that we have God on our side. He gives me strength and blessings; I hope to go away with my hand raised in victory. ”
Martinez, promoted by Eddie Hearn, won his first world title in December 2019 and has defended it four times since. However, ‘El Rey’ understands that this is the biggest test of his seven-year career so far.
“It was a big challenge,” he said.
“I am excited and motivated to be fighting a great legend like Roman ‘Chocolatito’ Gonzalez. I want to thank him for choosing us in this great battle, like I say to all but fear, anywhere and against anyone. “As always, we prepare for everything, decide, because it is a clash, a technical battle. We come here well trained; I want to make sure that the public will leave with a delicious taste in their mouths.”